Sensational comeback takes Tom Greaves tally to 4 wins out of 5 as caretaker boss


ON Tuesday evening at Broadhurst Park caretaker manager Tom Greaves made it 4 wins from 5 since his takeover as boss.

After a dramatic 3-2 victory sees FC United of Manchester move four points above the drop.

A tale of two halves, highly entertaining for the neutrals, as both teams put on a great spectacle for the Vanarama National League North.


Matthew Hughes (6) looks to make something happen for FC United

FC United, who were trailing 2-0 at the break courtesy of goals from Craig Westcarr and Brendan Daniels, saw themselves enjoy a stunning second half display which saw goals from Kieran Glynn, a penalty from ex Burnley graduate Jason Gilchrist and a late own goal give them all 3 points.

The visitors started the game very strong, as they were on the lookout for their first win in 4, after 3 consecutive defeats.

United, who had won their last 5 home fixtures looked very nervous, and this showed through the reds backline getting tested with Westcarr and Bradley Wood both having efforts blocked early on.

The away side had a fair amount of possession in the opening exchanges with Wood at the heart of every move for Alfreton. It seemed only time could tell until Alfreton found the back of the net. It came mid-way through the first half when ex Notts County man Westcarr headed home his 8th of the season, after a long throw in was flicked on by the towering Billy Priestley.

This goal seemed to spark the home side into life, with Jason Gilchrist having a good effort blocked after dancing round 3 defenders on the edge of the box. This was followed by Gilchrist teeing up Glynn on the edge of the box who sliced horribly wide.


Management from both teams watch on with caution

The second goal came in injury time of the first half when Daniels hammered home a free kick from the edge of the area, with goalkeeper Lloyd Allinson getting a hand to the effort, but unable to prevent it from nestling in the top left hand corner. Allowing the visitors to head in to the break ‘two to the good’.

FC United came out for the second half with real purpose, as they looked to make amends for their first half display. This was rewarded five minutes into the half, as winger Joel Logan who caused havoc down the left hand side, won a corner. This corner resulted in United’s lifeline as a misguided clearance by Priestley fell into the path of Glynn whose acrobatic effort found the back of the net from 8 yards out.

The rowdy atmosphere seemed to take its toll on the players, as tempers began to boil with the referee showing 3 cards before the hour mark. Brody Robertson and Marcus Marshall were brought on for Alfreton as they looked to defend the 3 points they have been so very craving.


Both sets of players clash as the game opens up

As the game pressed on, there were chances for both sides as the game opened up into a very exciting finale, as United brought on the experienced Craig Lindfield to try and ruffle up Alfretons backline. The equaliser came as late as the 87th minute when Glynn was taken down in the area, only for Gilchrist to level with ease, sending the keeper the wrong way, already beating his scoring tally from last term, as he rose to 11 league goals.

The winner came in the most unlikely of circumstances as Logan who had been threatening all game seemed to be travelling with the ball away from goal, before turning his man and sending a wicked ball across the 6 yard area which hit Alfreton defender Tom Platt who was unable to guide the ball away, sending an uproar around the stadium.

The win takes FC United from 19th up to 17th, clear of the drop zone by 4 points, as they can now target a potential play off finish with the point’s gap being cut to 6. They next travel to 19th place Gainsborough Trinity on Saturday, which will be another good opportunity for Tom Greaves men to continue their good run of form.


FC United of Manchester players applaud their fans off after a dramatic finale


About Author

Leave A Reply